Highlights: Women’s Retail Network Panel Summer 2018
Last week, IgnitionOne hosted a summer breakfast panel featuring women in the retail industry, welcoming attendees from iconic brands such as Chanel, L’Oreal, Steve Madden, and Tarte. We were thrilled to come together to hear about how digital marketing continues to shape the retail sector with contributions from Julia Scribner at LiveRamp, Elizabeth Tashik from Movable Ink, and Debbie Hauss, Editor-in-Chief at Retail Touchpoints.
Below are 5 key insights from the conversation:
- More retailers are recognizing the value of customer data. It can be difficult to put this data into practice, as most retailers don’t have data scientists on their team. But as shopping preferences shift and the modern customer journey evolves to span multiple touchpoints, more retailers are prioritizing a data-driven approach that unifies both online and offline customer information.
- Retailers are challenged to create a seamless customer journey across channels and devices. Today’s shoppers are likely to browse a brand’s website on their mobile phones, perhaps visit the store to confirm their interest, before completing a purchase on their desktop. As a result, retailers need to ensure their site is optimized for mobile, while also establishing robust identity resolution capabilities to recognize the same customer across touchpoints.
- Loyalty programs provide value for both the customer and retailer. These programs help retailers collect more first-party data, while also providing perfect opportunities for brands to connect with customers at key moments in their lives, such as birthdays, vacations, and anniversaries. Loyalty programs also enable retailers to interact with customers post-purchase, so retailers can ensure customer satisfaction and encourage brand advocacy.
- Email is still the main channel that retailers use to connect with customers. The challenge with email is ensuring consistency with CRM data—for example, retailers don’t want to deliver ads for a product that the customer recently purchased. Many brands are still trying to find the balance between when to email and what kind of content to deliver.
- It all boils down to personalization. Each of these areas of focus helps retailers develop a more personalized approach to engaging with customers, no matter where they are in the customer journey.
Thank you to the panelists for an insightful conversation, and to all who attended!
IgnitionOne helps retailers develop an omnichannel marketing strategy that delivers maximized results. We leverage Customer Intelligence to power personalized marketing. We’ve recently gained recognition as a Visionary in Gartner, Inc.’s Magic Quadrant for Personalization Engines. Reach out to learn more!